Thursday, August 14, 2014

leaving "summer" and starting a new school year

Summer break has been fun, just entirely too short.  

I have had my camera in my hands less than ever.  I am no photographer but I love capturing my kids and things going on around here.

This girl.
A nice wool dress in the middle of summer, feeding chickens, playing with cats and hauling dirt around.  
She is unique and we love her.





Even though we lost so many chickens this summer we still wanted Andrew to go through with his commitment to the 4H Chick Chain project he was a part of.  A week or so before the show/auction one of his pullets started laying small little brown eggs.  She was auctioned off with 4 others and he was able to get $26 per bird, not too shabby!


Meet Lamonte.  Our new rooster that the kids bought for $2.  The auction/sale took place while Rusty and I were at a business conference so my parents were gracious to take chickens too and from the Ag Center while we were gone.


The boys have all been learning how to make dill refrigerator pickles this summer.  Aubrey made a batch of pickled jalapeno peppers and banana peppers.


These 2 love being outside.  They love holding chickens.  And they gladly let me take their picture!




No words needed here.

Has to be like her big brother.


Chicken farming is on her future.  They make her very happy.

So Andrew sold 5 and we bought 5.  We have to build back our flock.  Carter is OUT of egg business and Andrew is trying to get in.


Her favorite "trick" of the week!
  OOPS:)


Loved growing these this summer.  The chickens are loving the reward!


When the big kids are gone and Hope is asleep, this guy and I like to spend time in the kitchen.  He would help me everyday if I had the patience.  The pickle master.



Andrew saved up and bought this...

and gave it a quick $4 paint job.  He is proud.

The boys in the front porch of their tree fort!  They have enjoyed sleeping out there (the oldest 3, not Benjamin yet).

On the roof of the tree fort... everyone has access to the roof by homemade ladders right?  Umm NO!  You can tell this is a man/boy project.  (The roof is too high and not safe if you ask me!)

Evening fishing at our neighbors...



With the chickens AGAIN!

Fruit from the garden.  We cut into a delicious watermelon tonight!  YUM!!

And we (not on purpose) share with the deer or groundhogs... whoever took this one and devoured it!

The kids love to swim.  She is a floundering fish in the water.  But learning to swim this summer.  And when you work hard and sweat from picking the garden you get to jump in the pool in your panties... and love it (no suit required on the farm)!


As these pictures wrap up our summer we look forward to fall and what the Lord has in store for us.  School started back this week.  I don't have cute "first day of 9th, 7th, 5th, 1st and preschool" pictures to post.  I have books scatter all over the place.  A table half full of pears and a counter full of veggies.  Still learning to let the perfection go:)  Praying that the Lord really shows me the strengths and passions of each of my kids this year so we can tap into those areas a little deeper.

Aubrey started High School this year, at home.  No tutorial, no co-op... just me, her, books, dvds and other materials.  Some call it crazy but I don't.  The Lord has us here and we love it.  Not all days are easy and fun but it is growing all of us in ways we couldn't get on any other path.

We already have 3 camping trips planned and the kids couldn't be more excited... it is what we LOVE to do!

Wrapping up our first week of school tomorrow and we will celebrate by having friends over for lunch.


Isaiah 61:1

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
    for the Lord has anointed me
    to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
    and to proclaim that captives will be released
    and prisoners will be freed.

No comments: